Saturday, May 04, 2013 – Lahore—Punjab Chief Minister Najam Sethi has said that Lahore Walled City Project is of vital importance and there is a need for furthering this project in an effective manner. He said that Walled City is a historical and cultural heritage and all out measures should be taken for its restoration and conservation. He said that proper planning is necessary for implementation of Lahore Walled City Project for protecting historical heritage and revival of cultural activities.
He said that steps should also be taken for checking construction of the new buildings for maintaining the cultural importance of the area. The Chief Minister directed that recommendations should be submitted to him in the next meeting for controlling commercialization of the Walled City.
He said that under package-I, five historical places including Dehli Gate, Shahi Hamam, Wazir Khan Mosque and the Royal Passageway are being restored to their original condition. He said that Lahore Walled City Project has the cooperation of the World Bank as well as technical assistance of Agha Khan Trust for Culture. The participants of the meeting gave their proposals regarding the project.
Read full article on Pakistan Observer Net
Related Posts from our archives:
- Lahore: The Walled City no longer has any walls — Articel by Majid Sheikh on Dawn com
- Pakistan: Rehabilitation of historic homes in the Walled City of Lahore – German Embassay News
- Lahore/Delhi: The miracle that is Gali Surjan Singh – By Majid Sheikh at Dawn com
- Walled City project: Govt makes Oriya Maqbool pack up at crucial time – Dawn com News
- Pakistan:Rehabilitation of historic homes in the Walled City of Lahore – German Embassy,Islamabad
- Lahore,Pakistan: Walled City to be restored in 2 decades