Trita ParsiAugust 17, 2015Image: Getty Images
Over the course of the past 25 years, the image of Iran presented by the Israeli government has become increasingly simplistic, one-dimensional, void of any nuance — in short, incomplete at best and inaccurate at worst. The Iranian government itself has contributed greatly in reducing the image of Iran to an invariably menacing entity with no other purpose than to create headaches for the West and Israel.
The real Iran is very different from Netanyahu’s Iran. The Israeli prime minister’s depictions of Iran have become increasingly comical over the years, from claiming that Iran constitutes an existential threat to Israel (questionable at best as this is challenged by many senior officials in Israel’s security establishment ), to asserting that Iranians are not allowed to wear jeans (prompting Iranians to take to social media to post pictures of themselves wearing jeansto mock Netanyahu ), to tweeting that Iran’s ultimate objective is to take over the entire planet , to presenting Iran as if it is as obsessed with Israel as Netanyahu is with Iran.
Read full on The Forward com
Also read on The Forward com:
- 5 Most Common Misconceptions About Iran
- What Does Schumer Hope To Gain by Opposing Iran Deal?
- Longing for the Day When My Wife Can Return to Iran
- Look Inside Iran Is Invaluable Journalism — With Limits
- Fact-Checking the Flame Throwers on Both Sides of Iran Deal
- What Do Iranians Think of Israel?
- A Jewish Journalist’s Exclusive Look Inside Iran
- Why We Sent a Reporter to Iran